2017 PROSPECT PARK garden walk & PLANT SALE
- St Francis Cabrini Church, 1500 Franklin Ave. SE: Plant Sale and Garden Walk Information
- Tour the gardens for FREE and in any order.
- Plant sale proceeds support neighborhood plantings.
- Please be advised, there is no parking on SE Franklin Ave.
- Download a PDF of the map [862KB].
- Garden Walk Tour Description PDF [56KB].
1. 1532 East River Terrace: Steve, FRONT & BACK
This master gardener has planted a huge variety! The front yard has an array of fir-type shrubs, a raised vegetable garden, and pops of color with artfully planted annuals. The back yard has a deck that blends with a stone terrace and is dotted with hostas and perennials. There are also 2 delightful garden sheds on the property.
2. 300 Seymour Place: Robin, FRONT & SIDE
Hostas galore! Some are gigantic! This garden has interesting sculptures and some hidden whimsy. A variety of shade-loving plants in the side garden surround a serene patio. Vegetables are grown along the driveway and it's all under large shade trees.
3. 1944 East River Terrace: Sue, FRONT & BACK
This garden features beautiful hardscape with terracing, seating, hostas, perennials, and annuals. This garden, a collaborative project, flows effortlessly into the neighboring garden at 1940 East River Terrace, making for a seamless landscape.
4. 1901 East River Road: Sarah & David, FRONT & SIDE
This is a corner lot with an extensive garden that's a feast for the eyes. This garden is planted to provide color all season and is defined by landscape berms. It is planted with shrubs, native grasses hostas, iris, peonies, and many more.
5. & 6. 1615 and 1621 East River Road: Sally & Vicki, SIDE & BACK
There is a shared side garden with gorgeous Asiatic lilies and delphinium. Under large oaks there is a waterfall surrounded by hostas, ferns, and a variety of other shade lovers.
7. 1509 East River Road: Karen, FRONT & BACK
This front garden is a marvel—only 2 seasons old! The garden was designed and planted by Karen and features blue arctic willow, dwarf twisted black locust, blue spruce, pussy willow, and a variety of perennials. The back garden, accessed on the right, was planted in 2013 and features Japanese maples, pagoda dogwood, Swiss stove pine, and shade perennials.
8. 1445 East River Road: Willie, FRONT ONLY
Meander the paths of this garden and note the perennials 20 years in the growing. Willie, a native Iowan, has whimsical reminiscences of farm life with a windmill and scythe. Don't miss the loveseat swing canopied with bittersweet.