transportation To and through Prospect Park
Prospect Park's central location in the Twin Cities metro gives it convenient access to main automobile traffic arteries through or near the neighborhood (Interstate 94, SH 280, University Avenue, and Franklin Avenue.
The Prospect Park Light Rail Station at SE 29th Ave. and Stadium Village Light Rail Station on the Metro Transit LRT Green Line provide excellent access to both downtowns. Two other light rail stations serve Prospect Park: Westgate at the St. Paul border, and Stadium Village at the U of M TCF Bank Gopher Stadium. Several Metro Transit bus routes (16, 3, 120, 63, 30) complement this service.
Bicycle lanes created and maintained since 2009 on West River Parkway, SE 27h Ave, and along the U of M Transitway north of 4th Street reduce the dependence on automobiles within the neighborhood. The Minneapolis Park Board adopted a plan to complete the Ground Rounds National Scenic Parkway from Northeast Minneapolis through Prospect Park all along SE 27th Ave, connecting to both East and West River Parkways and across the Franklin Avenue bridge.
The PPA Master Planning Committee continues the work to:
- monitor five specific intersections, including timing and location of signals and signs
- reduce freeway noise.
- increase pedestrian and bicycle connections and infrastructure
- implement the Grand Rounds Parkway and East River Gorge Park plans
The PPERRIA Transportation/Transit Committee as part of the NRP Process (1994-2002) created a vision of efficient, practical and environmentally appropriate means of transportation within our neighborhood and between Southeast Minneapolis communities. Within the NRP plan the neighborhood implemented measures that:
- enhanced traffic calming and safety, including reconfiguring difficult intersections such as the Franklin Ave-River Parkway-27th Ave 5-way nexus.
- improved pedestrian friendliness (such as better access on Tower HIll),
- reduced the negative impact of traffic through the neighborhood.